Sunday, May 30, 2004

Last week? Oh heavens, I can't remember what the outgoing voluntary was for 23rd May. How embarrassing! (Normally the choir can see me jotting down what I've played in a little blue notebook. I must have been in too much of a hurry to escape the organ stool and supervise Small Fry. I think it was a Soldiers' Chorus from a 19th century opera. Maybe it'll come back to me later ...)

I can tell you that before the service you heard "O for the wings of a dove" by Mendelssohn, "Serenata" by Sanderson, and "The strife is o'er", by Rawsthorne. The offering was the "All creatures great and small" theme by Pearson.

Today, 30th May 2004, is Pentecost. I played "Blue haze", by Rosalie Bonighton, then Verdi's "Anvil Chorus". That was buoyant enough to prepare everyone for the introit, "Dance with the Spirit" - with Helen on the violin, and Colin and Jamie playing cello. Another debut, certainly for Jamie. I haven't been at Killermont long enough to know if Colin has played for us before. And thanks to John for managing the mike for us, too!

The choir anthem, "Every time I feel the Spirit", went with a bang - I was proud of them.

To keep the theme going, I played "Free the Spirit" by Timothy Blinko during the communion. I love that piece! Must look out some more Blinko music.

And after the service, you heard the eighth of Bach's Eight Short Preludes and Fugues.

No comments: