Sunday, May 09, 2004

9th May - Youth Service at Killermont. What with the band - the saxes and flutes and drums and guitars and so on - your poor organist began to feel decidedly - well, CONVENTIONAL!

What could I do to make it better? Well, I played some bluesy music before the service - Prelude in blue, by Blinko, and then The good news, by Simon Lesley. I thought the choir contributions ought to be up-beat too, so we played the "Vicar of Dibley" theme tune, The Lord is my shepherd (by Goodall). I'm not alone in having a great affection for the Vicar of Dibley - my heroine!

And a STAR is born. Our minister's middle boy made a triumphant debut in the choir recessional - Oh when the saints (in the McAulay arrangement) - as a new arrival in the saxophone section. Well done, Gavin.

The outgoing organ voluntary was Marche in F major by Lefebure-Wely. Not modern, not blues or rock or anything else - just good, triumphant organ music. And why not?

No comments: