Saturday, April 24, 2004

What was the organ music for 18th April? I started off playing Flowers of the Forest, followed by Roslin Castle. I found these pieces in an old flute manuscript from Dundee - but discovered the manuscript owner had copied them from another, earlier book of Scottish pieces. They date back to the 18th century.

During the offering, I played Libera me, from Faure's Requiem - a favourite movement from a favourite work.

The outgoing voluntary was Toccata and Fugue in D minor by J S Bach. Once I'd played a few notes for Hamish during his childrens' address, I felt I was somewhat committed to delivering the entire piece at the end of the service!

I must tell you about another piece of music I recently discovered. A colleague at RSAMD, Eric Rice, has written a beautiful Scottish piece entitled Cumbrae Cottage. He has graciously allowed me to make a choral setting of this piece, which I have just finished working on. Once the choir has had a chance to learn it, I am really looking forward to performing it with them. Eric thinks it's one of his most successful compositions. I hope he (and you) will like it just as much in its choral reincarnation, "A hillwalker's benediction".

No comments: